Thursday, May 23, 2013

Disney's Fantasia (1940) / Fantasia 2000 (1999)

I am a die-hard Walt Disney fan. The first movie I ever saw was The Jungle Book - I must have been around 4 years old - and my parents did a wonderful job of introducing my sister and me to the wonders of Disney's art. However, I had never even heard of Fantasia until 2009.

Fantasia is number three (!) in the row of Disney movies and surprisingly long (120 min). It consists of nine  animated sequences set to pieces of classical music such as Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker Suite, or Rite Of Spring by Igor Stravinsky. The adaptation of Modest Mussorgsky's Night On A Bald Mountain might be a little scary for children.
It would be shameful to give away the content of each episode. What I can give away, however, is that you are going to see something so beautiful that it will make you gasp and think, how on earth can human beings create art like this?

When you look up Fantasia on wiki, you will see that not all of the reviews were positive. The movie has been described as "an overwhelmingly ambitious orgy of color, sound, and imagination", but also as "grotesquely kitschy". While I would agree that one or two sequences are at least bordering on being cheesy,  I think that the others are simply an ode to the magic you can create with pen and paper. As a Disney lover, Fantasia is a dream come true.

RATING: 5/5


Fantasia 2000

Fantasia 2000 is the sequel to the movie I just talked about.

This time, each sequence is introduced by celebrities such as Bette Midler or Quincy Jones. The highlights are the adaptation of George Gershwin's Rhapsody In Blue, and the adaptation of Igor Stravinsky's Firebird Suite. Apart from these two, I would not consider this movie a must-see when comparing it to its older brother. Describing it as only mediocre would be wrong, though.

Fantasia 2000 is less cheesy than its predecessor, but at the same time lacks a great deal of the original's magic and charm. Fans of Fantasia should probably see this movie so they can say they know them both. As for people who only know the new movie, I would highly suggest they watch the first one.

RATING: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment